[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - Success Stories: Mandatory or Optional?

Success Stories: Mandatory or Optional?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Success Stories: Mandatory or Optional?

Normally, in Scientology and at Scientology schools, every time you finish a course, or a reading level, or anything of consequence, you are asked "Would you like to write a success story?"

Almost everyone just says 'yes' and writes one. And not-so-strangely, all the success stories read almost exactly the same. "I had fun on this course and I learned a lot." I mean, word for word. I remember leafing through the pile of success stories at one point and wondering why they were all exactly the same. Even at weekly Friday after-school graduation, when the teachers from each class would round up some students to give verbal success stories, the words were exactly the same. "I had fun on this course and I learned a lot."

At one point, when I was testing my limits, I finished a course that I had done OK on, but not particularly liked that much. After the exam was wrapped up, the examiner asked me the usual - would you like to write a success story?

"Naw, that's OK."

She stood up, grabbed a success story form and slammed it down on the desk in front of me and said, "Just write one."

I wrote one. "I had fun on this course and I learned a lot."

I never pushed this very hard, because I felt had bigger ideological fish to fry at the time - but now this strikes me as kinda... I dunno. Wrong somehow. Shouldn't a success story only be written if you really made so much progress that you personally decide you want to share your wins with everyone?
<<

SaintBastard

Pirate

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 pm

The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

Frank Herbert
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 pm

this subject cracks me up!
We were always made to write success stories. When I was really little, maybe 6-8 years old, we would draw a picture for our success story. Then I remember being told that I had to write something. So I would write 'it was fun'. All the other kids wrote the same thing. Never more, never less. I think "it was fun" was code for "can't I just go home and play with toys like other kids?"
<<

freebird

Non-E

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 am

One vote for mandatory!

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:55 am

<<

HailXxxx79

Clear

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 am

<<

SRJ

EPFer

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:21 pm

<<

bushkaGND

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:53 am

ha ha ha

This is a funny subject, and I thought I was the only one as a kid who said "No". I will never forget attesting to my first auditing action ever at a small mission. I was probably 12 years old. The Examiner asked me if I wanted to write a success story and I said no thanks, and that was that. She looked at me like I was an alien and kind of didn't now what to do about it. After I put the cans down, she went into a little huddle with some other execs there. I was like "What's the problem?" She then had to convince me to write one without telling me to. From then on, I understood that you had to write one in order to attest....even if you didn't want to.
<<

NarkAnon

Non-E

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:22 pm

<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:20 am

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche

Return to Scientology Education