[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - Hello all

Hello all

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 am

Hello all

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself.

I have never been involved with CoS. In fact I don't think I've ever met one face to face.

So why am I here? Well, I hate to bring him up, but you can blame TC. lol :roll:

I have suffered from mental illness (major depression) all my life, and many members of my family have different forms of illness: addiction, SAD, Bipolar, GAD, etc. It definately runs in my family.

Please don't confuse clinical depression with lack of joy. I am a very happy person.

I know many of you growing up in seaorg were raised in a prison of sorts. I grew up in a mental prison.

So I rolled my eyes alot :roll: when I heard about CoS views on Mental illness and psychiatric treatment.

Then I came accross the infamous TC video and it scared me a little, but mostly I thought it was funny. As I surfed from there to other sites I came accross the video of DM discussing the 2006 year in review where he spoke of the "diabolical campaign to obliterate phychiatry". :twisted:

I wasn't just afraid any more, I was mad. lol

So I went to my favorite site for advocacy for the mentally ill (NAMI) and did a search for Scientology and I was shocked at how successful the church has been so far. With all these front groups that actually have influence. :shock:

It quoted a representative from Florida who bragged how they had changed the laws on mental health screaning for children in that state because "the stars came to town" (referring to Kirstie Alley and Kelly Preston).

It occurred to me that if a couple of actors and a religion qualify to testify as experts in health care, why not me. lol

Well, I dont think that's very realistic. So I decided to just objectively try to learn more about Scientology. I have avoided "anti" type sites, and for awhile I avoided ex-member sites. I preferred the "hourses mouth" approach.

Well, Im sure you all know how well that worked out. lol "Read the books" "Aliens? That's rediculous, that's not what we're about at all." yada yada. Then poof! gone.

So I have been learning mostly from former members and (hopefully) objective news and information agencies and I came accross the interview of Astra on the net.

As I watched it I was very moved. Not only with her and her family's story but with her in general. It was obvious she was being very honest and matter-of-fact, and not sensationalizing.

You know how sometimes you hear someone speak for awhile and you just have a sense that they are sincere and real?

Well, anyway that is what led me to this site.

I have been lurking somewhat for quite awhile and will probably continue to mostly, because ... well, Im not an exscientologykid. lol But I felt it appropriate to introduce myself if Im gonna continue to "hang around".

My thanks to you all, and best of wishes to the ones who have had to begin a brand new life from scratch. I can't even imagine.

Lover of Thistles
Last edited by ILuvThistles on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

ImOut

OTIII

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:52 am

Isn't it grand to be out!
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:39 am

Welcome! I really commend your reason for being interested in Scientology. Their stance on psychiatry and their attempts to destroy it are very wrong in my opinion. Sure, psychiatry is not an exact science, sure mistakes are made, sure kids can be over-medicated. But scientology offers no real solutions for the mentally ill (not to mention solutions for the people scientology themsevles have pushed to the brink of insanity and sometimes suicide). I had a cousin saved by psychiatry and now happy and leading a normal life. Therapy and medication can be life saving for many and scientology has no right, IMO, to try to eradicate it. They don't even claim to be trying to reform it, they want to eradicate psychiatry while offering no solution. Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe...
<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 am

"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:23 pm

<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 am

Astra:

They don't want any MD involved. Not just mental health officials. They have precious few exceptions as you know. It sickens me how I wasted so much of my life, put us in the poor house and quite possibly corrupted my kids.....
If someone has to teach you how to be happy , then you are not truly happy....Happiness is a state of mind.
<<

dwest

Clear

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:00 pm

<<

sabrina

EPFer

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:47 pm

<<

NoSOat10

OTIII

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 am

Ding.
Don’t get interested in real estate. Don’t get interested in the masses of buildings, because that’s not important.
L. Ron Hubbard, Lecture Series: Anatomy of the Human Mind
Tape: The Genus of Dianetics and Scientology
Tape#: 6012C31
31 December 1960

Return to Introductions